Bronx, NY – Orthodontic treatment is important for a variety of reasons, and the reason that sends you to an initial consultation may be as unique as your smile. Dr. Catherine Woo of Riverdale Family Orthodontics works with patients of all ages, and loves to talk about the many benefits of orthodontic treatment.
“So many people think orthodontics is simply a cosmetic procedure that makes straighter smiles,” says Dr. Woo. “And while a straight smile is certainly a goal of treatment, that has many important benefits that go along with it. A straighter smile is a healthier smile – and that can be both physically and emotionally.”
Crooked, crowded and misaligned teeth are often harder to keep clean. Your toothbrush and floss may have difficulty reaching all of the places needed to properly keep decay from setting in. Not only that, a bad bite can wreak havoc on your life – headaches, earaches, and even breaking and chipping of your teeth can occur. Some people may also be embarrassed by their less than ideal smiles and may have lower self-esteem because of it.
It is recommended that patients have their first appointment with an orthodontist around the age of 7. Most patients do not start treatment this early, but there are a myriad of things that can be helpful in the development of the jaws and eruption paths of permanent teeth if needed.
“Now is a great time for patients to learn more about how orthodontic treatment may be able to help them,” says Dr. Woo. “I know some people may avoid treatment because they worry it may draw even more attention to an area they’d like to hide. But since we’re all in masks all day anyway, you can hide away your braces and reveal a beautiful new smile to the world!”
Benefits of orthodontic treatment:
- Improved oral health – When teeth are improperly aligned, it’s hard to clean them, which can lead to cavities and gum disease.
- Prevent future dental work – Your poorly aligned bite today may require a smile makeover later due to the uneven pressure that is placed when you bite down. This can lead to chipping, cracking and breaking, which can lead to expensive repairs.
- Reduce jaw pain – If you have constant jaw, head, ear or even neck pain, it could be caused by your bad bite.
- Reduce the risk of injury – Orthodontic treatment can correct protruding teeth that may otherwise be damaged if injured while playing sports, other physical activities or an unexpected fall.
- Improved self-esteem – Most importantly, a smile is a powerful thing and is often the first thing people notice about us. An improved smile can increase your self-esteem and help you greet the world confidently.
Riverdale Family Orthodontics treats patients of all ages. Dr. Woo loves helping her patients discover the power of their smiles. Schedule a complimentary consultation for your child, or for you, and learn more about how a straighter, properly aligned smile can improve your oral health.